dental practice management
Dental Practice Management DIQ Family
October 1, 2016
Delegating for Work and Home
December 5, 2016

Does Multitasking really work?

multitasking

Multitasking is something most of us do, and as a dental coach, I like to think, like most people, that we are talented enough to keep lots of balls in the air. However, according to the experts, multitasking may not be all that it is cracked up to be.

Sure, I can do several projects for my family, my work, and myself, all at once. However, I have been reading that efficiency experts feel we need to quit fooling ourselves when we believe we are good at multitasking.

It is felt that very few can solidly focus on more than one or two tasks, particularly if you need focus and depth. In reality, we are accomplishing less and the quality of the work is poor. Really efficient people know concentrated effort with few distractions leads to better work production in faster time. Otherwise, we have work that is not up to par which means we really are wasting more time and energy because we have to go back and fix things.

For many, multitasking helps us think we are keeping up. We check our email while out with friends or I finish a dental coaching report while I should be enjoying my family. Everyone tries to accomplish a lot; unfortunately, only 2 percent of the population actually multitasks effectively while the other 98 percent are running around in a state of chaos while trying to remain productive.

So take a moment, listen to that joke your friend is trying to tell you and put down your mobile device. You really can increase your productivity by concentrating on one task at a time.

According to researchers, and I find this as a dental coach as well, our brains don’t deal with overload and are better at handling one task at a time. One study discovered that you might be overwhelmed when faced with multiple tasks.

The brain actually, “Bottlenecks,” feeding the information too quickly making your attention go from one task to the next, never really completing any of the tasks efficiently. When you slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time, you will accomplish more in less time.

So, the next time you feel like handling a dozen things at a time, put down your checkbook and make a list. Prioritize your tasks and tackle them one at a time.

If you feel like your practice could use a dental coach, schedule a consultation with Blatchford Dental Coaching who can help you prioritize your tasks enabling you and your practice to be more productive.

Comments are closed.